Thursday, October 11, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY

The first book in a captivating trilogy, Veronica Rossi’s enthralling debut sweeps you into an unforgettable adventure


Ok, I may be a sucker for Dystopian Lit. Even more so for Young Adult Dystopian Lit. For some reason the plots and all just intrigue me. I can't seem to get enough of the creative ways that people could see the world being like. I loved the Hunger Games. It was just crazy to see what the authors can come up with and put the characters through in this world that was once ours and how the characters grow from these experiences. This book was not at the same level as the Hunger Games (or Divergent. oh man, that one was good too), but it was still pretty darn good.

The reader sees two completely different worlds almost. There is the Realms and the Pods in which the Dwellers (Aria) live in and then there is the outside world where Perry lives. The outside is considered almost to be toxic to those that live in the Pods, and they react in extreme ways to the Outsiders, though they never really run into each other. The only reason Aria did was because she was wrongfully accused and thrown out of her home.

I predicted the type of relationship between Aria and Perry. I mean come on, it's a book written for teenagers so it's not that hard to figure out. It was interesting to see how they got to that point. In lots of books there is a slight attraction, or a slight past between the two (Katniss and Peeta knew each other because he gave her bread). These two were kind of thrown into situations without really knowing that they would be working through it all together. It was interesting to watch a complete disgust for each other turn to tolerance, and then friendship, etc. 

I thought this book was written fairly well. The world that they lived in was kind of intense with the Aether storms and such, and he idea of all of the different Realms got to be a lot, and yet I really wanted to find places like that where I could fly and such. I dunno, maybe I only liked this book because I am a sucker for types of books like this. I thought it was enjoyable and I really look forward to reading the next one in the series. Props to the author. I believe this is her first book, and she did really well.

I realize that I haven't been on here in awhile. Things have gotten kind of crazy with various family situations but they are slowly turning around. Still looking for a place to live, and a job, but what else is new. I did get my license finally! I am fully qualified to sub, now if teachers would just call in more then I could actually make some money. So since it's been awhile here are a few things I've been doing lately:

I've really grown to LOVE Once Upon a Time. I am a sucker for fairy tales, and I think that though this show gets pretty cheesy I really like the concept of everything. It's a really fun show to watch I think.

Also, some excellent music has come out lately. Within the last month. My obsession, Ellie Goulding. Her new album is so good. I really don't have a lot else to say. In all honesty this entry is not my best, so I might as well end it with my current favorite song by her.



I'm hoping to have more time to write something of worth, besides book reviews, later on. Until then, time to choose a new book!

No comments:

Post a Comment