Monday, September 1, 2014

Adios Summer, It's Been Real

So, if you know me at all you know that my summer has been filled ups and downs (lots and lots of downs). I also seem to have complained a lot, and I feel like I kind of wasted my summer on thinking of all the crappy moments in life and not really enjoying the summer that I was given. In general, it was a strange summer that was mostly cool (I think I wore pants or a sweatshirt at least once a week) and with the financial situation the way it was (and still is...but should be improving soon!) I kind of just hid in my apartment. Anyway, with it being the 1st of September I'm thinking back to what I did have this summer and decided to share some positive things that happened, and even a few things I look forward to in the fall :)


This summer I was able to spend some days sitting out at the pool soaking up the sun. This was pretty much always accompanied with an audiobook of some sort (I just got sick of holding the actual book and then I started getting strange tan lines because of how I was holding the book to give my arms a break.). I just got to use that time to de-stress and relax. I definitely wish I would have done that more often.


I was forced to go fishing. Ok, so I'm not in love with fishing at all (as you can see, I refuse to touch said fish and my mom had to bait my hooks for me) but it was nice to be out on the lake and to eat fresh fish. That and I was pretty awesome and destroyed the competition. And in order to be true to myself, I have not gone fishing since. I figure I was doing so well, why not end on a high note?


We discovered some hiking spots around us. Jake and I spent a whole afternoon hiking around the lake near us and along the cliffs. It was a lot of fun and I was definitely feeling it the next day (those hills were so steep!). It was nice to be able to do something with him after he had been gone for Reserves stuff for a few weeks. It also really showed us just how gorgeous the area around us really is.


We got to spend a few weekends back home celebrating various things with family and friends. We were able to spend 4th of July in our hometown (there we are, eating cheese curds before the parade!) and get together with some of our closest high school friends over the weekend while all were home. It was a lot of fun to catch up with people and to see where life has taken us all. Ha I make it sound like it was just this super adult, mature thing but I swear, some things haven't changed (in the best way possible guys I swear! You all made me sad to have moved away). 


I was lucky enough to go to Lake Michigan...TWICE! The first time we had planned on hiking, but ended up renting this super fabulous tandem bike for an hour and biking along the lake sure. It was kind of fun, but I'm sure it would have been funny to watch Jake and I, especially when he decided that I should be the one steering in the front while he is in the back (that went poorly, and I think the people that were in the lot as we were trying to get ready to go were laughing at us...a lot).


The second time was with some of my nearest and dearest friends who had decided to come for the weekend and visit! We attempted to go hiking, but it got SUPER BUGGY. Like we thought we had put on enough bug spray, but it was NOT enough. We took this little mini trail that was like a mile long and basically just a loop...we ended up jogging the entire thing. We figured after that workout we deserved to sit on the beach and be bums and enjoy an adult beverage. It was a really fun day and a great weekend with these two. 

I read some awesome books this summer. It would take me a little too long to list them all, but besides catching up on all the Walking Dead graphic novels I read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (DUH, I definitely have mentioned fangirling over her lately), The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (I LOVE Flavia, and can't wait to read more about her...SOON!), Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (WOWZERS, that was quite the read. Definitely interested in seeing how they do the movie), and Lady Thief by AC Gaughen (the 2nd in the Scarlet book series, which is an awesome series...though this one had me getting pretty angry at the book...in a good way, I swear!). Like I said, I read a lot of great books during the summer and constantly added to my "To Read" list. I'd happily give recommendations :)

Lastly, I GOT A JOB! Is it the most glamourous of jobs? Eh, it could be a heck of a lot worse. It's just your average retail job at a shoe store, but I do kind of like it. I have met a lot of people (not that we're all going to be besties or anything like that...but its nice to just talk to people occasionally) and have been learning a lot about shoes (as well as kind of getting myself to like different kinds of shoes...just wait til you see what I have on hold). This job has been such a blessing for me, it really has. It is giving me time to revamp my life plan, so to speak. It gives me a chance to really focus on what's important and what's next for me. It is also giving me the chance to really work those customer service skills as well as other skills. As usual there are those co-workers that I'd rather not have to deal with (and if they approached me in the store I dunno if I would want their help...) and there are those customers that are just ridiculously crabby. There are those crappy retail hours (I had to work Labor day..) and there are weekends that I work (meaning I don't see my husband as much) but it's something we NEEDED badly, and I think it's right where I'm supposed to be (though just for this moment in my life, not permanently.).

I am sad summer is over, and I'm sad I didn't get to do all I wanted to do, but life gets in the way sometimes. However....I do love fall.

I'm excited for all things apple (apple crisp, apple pie, caramel apples...seriously..APPLES...forget pumpkin), all the fall colors (I love the brightness of summer, but there is something about seeing all the leaves change and the slightly cool breeze that means sweaters and boots), more hours at work (I need the money! And the say that fall is one of their busy seasons so I should expect hours. That and I'm working my butt off to prove that I can be awesome and that I deserve the hours), more reading (seriously, there are so many new books coming out and so many other books I want to read. I'm hoping with school and work being in full swing I'll FINALLY be able to get exactly what I want), my TV shows are coming back and new ones I want to check out are airing (YAY Parks and Rec and Walking Dead...and others! I can't wait to check out Gotham and many others. Side note, we mostly want to check out dramas...anyone have any comedies????), and I'm just excited to see what's next (I truly believe that I am in the situation I am for a reason and that I need to make the best of it. I can't wait to see what's next for me). I love fall, so much. I basically just like all season but winter (seriously, for a week or two it's ok...but after that I'm done).

And...that's about it. Sad to see summer go, but so excited for what's next.



No comments:

Post a Comment