Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top Ten Bookish Costume Ideas

Time for another Top Ten on this Tuesday, thanks to The Broke and the Bookish. Today's is all about Halloween, and since we all know that I'm not into watching scary movies or books I'm picking some book characters I'd like to be for Halloween if I were able to dress up (which I am not because I have no friends here and am just all around lame this year I guess...). So, in no particular order:

1. Linh Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles- Ok, so I've only read the first book. But still. She is a cyborg mechanic. How cool would that be? How I would pull it off I do not know, but I figure the internet would be super helpful here.  Maybe this would work?
But I think this is something I would have to look into more. I just loved her, so yea, that'd be cool.

2. Flapper in the style of The Great Gatsby- I can't say that I love any of the characters in this particular book, but I love this book. I loved getting to dress up when we did an event at the library. Seriously, so fun. There are so many different styles of dresses and head dresses I could do. Ah. So hard to choose.
Also, the costuming in this movie...fantastic. I seriously just adore it so much. Could take lots of inspiration from that.

3. Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series- Seriously, she is fantastic. She is incredibly strong and yet can be slightly girly as well. The various costumes I could pull with her as an inspiration would be awesome. She has dressed many different parts as an assassin, and I haven't even finished the third book yet.
Just based on the covers alone I could think of some cool stuff. Sadly, I am not blonde.

4. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series- I have never been able to dress up as any of the Harry Potter characters, and Hermione has always been one of my favorites, since before the movies and Emma Watson's fantastic portrayal. I love so many characters, but she was my favorite first. She is kind, intelligent, and always willing to help out a friend. Who would't want to be her?
And I wouldn't necessarily have to do the school uniform look. I could do the Yule Ball look too. Ah, it would be fantastic.

5. Dauntless (or any other faction) from Divergent- I think I can't decide exactly what faction is my favorite, because they all have so many qualities that are really great. I also can't pick a favorite character (and no, Tris is not my favorite character. I mean I don't hate her, but still). So many options, and so many cool characters come from all of these different factions (and some not so cool ones).
I'd probably lean towards Dauntless or Abnegation just because those colors seem to be pretty me, but who knows.

6. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games- Uhm, duh! Did you doubt this would make the list? Katniss is pretty awesome, and her costume would be pretty sweet cool. I really don't have any other reasons for this. It just a no brainer.
Again, many options. Sadly..I cannot braid my hair. Anyone want to do that for me? 

7. Basically anything from Alice in Wonderland- I'd go as Alice, The Mad Hatter, The Queen of Heart, The Cheshire Cat...basically anything. I think these costumes would be super fun and I would LOVE to explore the options that it brings.
I seriously don't know if I could chose. Maybe this is cheating, but seriously...anything.

8. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice- Seriously, it would be such an awesome costume. I love Pride and Prejudice, and Lizzy Bennet is pretty awesome and I think doing a Keira Knightley type of costume with this would be pretty awesome.
Seriously, some gorgeous costumes. And they'd be pretty simple to put together too.

9. Will Scarlet/Scarlet from the Scarlet series- I don't know if I've gushed about this retelling enough, but I would love to dress up as Scarlet. Either as Scarlet pretending to be Will Scarlet or as Scarlet being Scarlet. She's such a strong character that has overcame so much. Has so many attributes that I admire, and I think it would be a fun costume. Plus people might actually be able to guess this.
I love the whole Robin Hood story, and this was such a fun re-telling that I adored. Why not dress as the main character?

10. Princess Buttercup from The Princess Bride- I think I would love this. And honestly, I hate couples costumes...but how fun of a costume would it be to be Buttercup and Westley? It would be awesome. I read this book once, loved it. Watched the movie a million time and I love it. Would be a lot of fun, and probably one of the few people would actually get.
As many choices as there are, I'm definitely thinking the red dress would be best. Simple to put together and everything.

Sadly, I will be doing nothing for Halloween. I do not know anyone around here so it looks like I'll be sitting at my place watching movies and eating candy. Well that and I have to close at the store as well, so that's exciting right? I'll just have to think up of more costumes for next year.

Hope you all have a safe and fun Halloween!




Isn't it kind of sad that my favorite Halloween movies are animated and musicals? I'm looking at Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Coraline, Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow (ok...not a musical), etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment