Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan

In his New York Times bestselling novel, David Levithan introduces readers to what Entertainment Weekly calls a "wise, wildly unique" love story about A, a teen who wakes up every morning in a different body, living a different life.

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl. 

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

This book was interesting. First, it's a bit of an odd plot to get used to. A is not really a person, A is something that takes over the body for one day. A has no gender and is not in the same place each day. That was really hard for me to wrap my brain around, and in all honesty I think even since finishing it I don't really understand it. My biggest thing is that A get's attached to Rhiannon, and it makes no sense to me. Don't get me wrong, the book itself was written well and it was interesting to read even though the plot confused me a bit.

I do have a few issues with this book, even with thinking it was ok. First, why is it that A only goes into bodies in the Maryland area. I would think that A would find bodies all over the continental US or even further away. For some reason A could only inhibit bodies in Maryland, and I thought that was kind of odd. A talks about seeing the world, but I really don't think seeing the world happens in just one state.

Also, they seem to get a little preachy about the issue of gay marriage. I have my own personal opinion on the issue, and there is no reason for me to get into my own opinion because that honestly would do no good for anyone. I just have a difficult time reading something that gets preachy about an issue that I have my own personal opinion on, especially when it goes against what I believe in. They also poked a bit of fun at demonic possession  saying that it's ridiculous and could never happen. I personally believe that it can happen, and that it is a bit more serious than they let on. Even with that, I thought that it was written in an interesting way, and for some reason I continued to read it and didn't completely hate it.

This book is definitely something that I can see people either loving or hating. It's an odd concept to wrap your brain around, but it also tells a story of love and it is honestly quite the love story. Though having those two things work together was kind of different, because sometimes A would be in a body that was 4+ hours away from Rhiannon, and sometimes A seemed to take the body that it was in for granted and take it far away from what it knows to be with this girl that it never knew. This sometimes causes problems, obviously,which leads to the interesting end of the book.

This book was ok. I can't say it would be one of my top recommendations for someone, but it was worth the read I think. Now, to choose what to read next...


No comments:

Post a Comment